You can make this delicious vegan tortilla soup in 15 minutes for dinner tonight. Watch everyone lick their bowls clean! It’s naturally gluten free, plus I share tips for making a low FODMAP version in the recipe notes. Enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links for products I personally use and recommend. If you purchase any of these products, I may receive a small commission. This helps to support the cost of running this blog, at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for your support!
If you find your fridge packed to the gills, post holiday season, like I do, you need to make this vegan tortilla soup ASAP. Here’s why…
- It’s an easy way to clean out your fridge by adding whatever veggie bits and bobs are lurking in your produce drawer.
- It’s one of those “healthy”comfort foods meals everyone in the family will love. Fingers crossed!
- Did I mention you can make this yummy soup in 15 minutes??? Let’s do it!
What ingredients do you need to make this vegan tortilla soup recipe?
- Corn tortillas (or tortilla chips),
- Extra virgin olive oil (or any hi-oleic vegetable oil),
- Vegetable broth. I love Imagine Organic Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth)
- Canned diced tomatoes. Try fire roasted tomatoes to give your tortilla soup an extra kick!
- Black beans. Or, any other beans you have in your pantry.
- Frozen or canned corn.
- Seasonings: Cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Any veggie bits and bobs you want to add to your vegan tortilla soup.
- Toppings!!!! Avocado, radishes, pumpkin seeds, fresh cilantro.
Tip! You could make this vegan tortilla soup with store bought tortilla chips (see above), but if you’ve got a few minutes to spare, why not make your own crispy tortilla strips? They’re so easy to make, healthier (less oil & salt than store bought chips), and much tastier IMO. Just sayin’.
Nutrition highlights + what to serve with your tortilla soup…
This vegan tortilla soup is a nourishing one bowl meal. It’s perfect for a light lunch or dinner, but still provides 15 grams of plant based protein per serving, and a whopping 12 grams of microbiome friendly fiber. (Shhh…don’t tell your family this soup is good for them too!)
But, if you want to add a little something on the side, I highly recommend apple slices or orange slices (low FODMAP) with a light dusting of cinnamon. Divine!
Oh, this vegan tortilla soup is a great meal prep recipe too! You can make a big batch ahead of time, freeze it, then heat it up and add toppings for a super quick and easy weeknight meal. (Related: 45 Healthy Freezer Meals to Help Your Reclaim Family Dinner Time)
Now, let’s make some vegan tortilla soup!
Quick and Easy Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Diced avocado, sliced radishes, pumpkin seeds, chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- While oven is heating, combine the broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, and seasonings in a medium to large stock or soup pot. * If use additional vegetables, add them in at this time. Heat on high until boiling, then lower temperature and bring to a simmer while chips are baking.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Brush 1 side of each corn tortilla with olive oil, then cut into strips. Lay tortilla strips on parchment paper and bake for ~ 7-8 minutes or until desired level of crispness. Remove chips from oven.
- While tortilla chips are baking, prep optional toppings and place in individual serving bowls.
- To serve: Divide chips into 4 serving bowls and ladle soup on top. Let everyone add their toppings as desired.
- Use Low FODMAP vegetable broth (i.e FODY Low FODMAP Vegetable Soup Base or Casa de Sante Low FODMAP Vegetable Broth Concentrate)
- Use canned/rinsed/drained lentils (1/2 cup serving is low FODMAP) or garbanzo beans (1/4 cup is low FODMAP) in place of black beans.
- Limit corn kernels to 38 grams/serving.
- Add any low FODMAP toppings as desired.
- Swap homemade tortillas for store bought tortilla chips.
- Use any high oleic oil (high in monounsaturated fat) in place of olive oil.
- Try fire roasted diced tomatoes to give your tortilla soup an extra kick!
- Swap black beans with any beans you you have in your pantry.
- Canned corn can be used in place of frozen corn.
- Add any veggie bits and bobs (leftover veggies) you have in your fridge.
Craving more gluten free vegan soup recipes? Here are a few more I think you’ll love!
And, if you’re looking for easy gluten free recipes, you can check them all out here: Quick and Easy Recipes. Enjoy!
Let’s Chat! Have you made tortilla soup before? What other toppings would you add to this soup? Does your fridge need a good cleaning out too???
Hi There! I’m EA, a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) in sunny San Diego. I create easy, DELICIOUS gluten free recipes & low FODMAP recipes for a wide variety of diets. Learn more about my nutrition philosophy and my nutrition coaching for digestive health, autoimmune disease, wellness nutrition, & vibrant aging. Sign up for my newsletter, or get in touch~I’d love to connect with you!