You can make this delicious vegan tortilla soup in 15 minutes for dinner tonight. Watch everyone lick their bowls clean! It’s naturally gluten free, plus I share tips for making a low FODMAP version in the recipe notes. Enjoy!
If you find your fridge packed to the gills, post holiday season, like I do, you need to make this vegan tortilla soup ASAP. Here’s why…
- It’s an easy way to clean out your fridge by adding whatever veggie bits and bobs are lurking in your produce drawer.
- It’s one of those “healthy”comfort foods meals everyone in the family will love. Fingers crossed!
- Did I mention you can make this yummy soup in 15 minutes??? Let’s do it!
What ingredients do you need to make this vegan tortilla soup recipe?
- Corn tortillas (or tortilla chips),
- Extra virgin olive oil (or any hi-oleic vegetable oil),
- Vegetable broth. I love Imagine Organic Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth)
- Canned diced tomatoes. Try fire roasted tomatoes to give your tortilla soup an extra kick!
- Black beans. Or, any other beans you have in your pantry.
- Frozen or canned corn.
- Seasonings: Cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Any veggie bits and bobs you want to add to your vegan tortilla soup.
- Toppings!!!! Avocado, radishes, pumpkin seeds, fresh cilantro.
Tip! You could make this vegan tortilla soup with store bought tortilla chips (see above), but if you’ve got a few minutes to spare, why not make your own crispy tortilla strips? They’re so easy to make, healthier (less oil & salt than store bought chips), and much tastier IMO. Just sayin’.
Nutrition highlights + what to serve with your tortilla soup…
This vegan tortilla soup is a nourishing one bowl meal. It’s perfect for a light lunch or dinner, but still provides 15 grams of plant based protein per serving, and a whopping 12 grams of microbiome friendly fiber. (Shhh…don’t tell your family this soup is good for them too!)
But, if you want to add a little something on the side, I highly recommend apple slices or orange slices (low FODMAP) with a light dusting of cinnamon. Divine!
Oh, this vegan tortilla soup is a great meal prep recipe too! You can make a big batch ahead of time, freeze it, then heat it up and add toppings for a super quick and easy weeknight meal. (Related: 45 Healthy Freezer Meals to Help Your Reclaim Family Dinner Time)
Now, let’s make some vegan tortilla soup!
Quick and Easy Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Diced avocado, sliced radishes, pumpkin seeds, chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- While oven is heating, combine the broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, and seasonings in a medium to large stock or soup pot. * If use additional vegetables, add them in at this time. Heat on high until boiling, then lower temperature and bring to a simmer while chips are baking.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Brush 1 side of each corn tortilla with olive oil, then cut into strips. Lay tortilla strips on parchment paper and bake for ~ 7-8 minutes or until desired level of crispness. Remove chips from oven.
- While tortilla chips are baking, prep optional toppings and place in individual serving bowls.
- To serve: Divide chips into 4 serving bowls and ladle soup on top. Let everyone add their toppings as desired.
- Use Low FODMAP vegetable broth (i.e FODY Low FODMAP Vegetable Soup Base or Casa de Sante Low FODMAP Vegetable Broth Concentrate)
- Use canned/rinsed/drained lentils (1/2 cup serving is low FODMAP) or garbanzo beans (1/4 cup is low FODMAP) in place of black beans.
- Limit corn kernels to 38 grams/serving.
- Add any low FODMAP toppings as desired.
- Swap homemade tortillas for store bought tortilla chips.
- Use any high oleic oil (high in monounsaturated fat) in place of olive oil.
- Try fire roasted diced tomatoes to give your tortilla soup an extra kick!
- Swap black beans with any beans you you have in your pantry.
- Canned corn can be used in place of frozen corn.
- Add any veggie bits and bobs (leftover veggies) you have in your fridge.
Craving more gluten free vegan soup recipes? Here are a few more I think you’ll love!
And, if you’re looking for easy gluten free recipes, you can check them all out here: Quick and Easy Recipes. Enjoy!
Let’s Chat! Have you made tortilla soup before? What other toppings would you add to this soup? Does your fridge need a good cleaning out too???