You can make this delicious vegan tortilla soup in 15 minutes for dinner tonight. Watch everyone lick their bowls clean! It’s naturally gluten free, plus I share tips for making a low FODMAP version in the recipe notes. Enjoy!
If you find your fridge packed to the gills, post holiday season, like I do, you need to make this vegan tortilla soup ASAP. Here’s why…
- It’s an easy way to clean out your fridge by adding whatever veggie bits and bobs are lurking in your produce drawer.
- It’s one of those “healthy”comfort foods meals everyone in the family will love. Fingers crossed!
- Did I mention you can make this yummy soup in 15 minutes??? Let’s do it!
What ingredients do you need to make this vegan tortilla soup recipe?
- Corn tortillas (or tortilla chips),
- Extra virgin olive oil (or any hi-oleic vegetable oil),
- Vegetable broth. I love Imagine Organic Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth)
- Canned diced tomatoes. Try fire roasted tomatoes to give your tortilla soup an extra kick!
- Black beans. Or, any other beans you have in your pantry.
- Frozen or canned corn.
- Seasonings: Cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Any veggie bits and bobs you want to add to your vegan tortilla soup.
- Toppings!!!! Avocado, radishes, pumpkin seeds, fresh cilantro.
Tip! You could make this vegan tortilla soup with store bought tortilla chips (see above), but if you’ve got a few minutes to spare, why not make your own crispy tortilla strips? They’re so easy to make, healthier (less oil & salt than store bought chips), and much tastier IMO. Just sayin’.
Nutrition highlights + what to serve with your tortilla soup…
This vegan tortilla soup is a nourishing one bowl meal. It’s perfect for a light lunch or dinner, but still provides 15 grams of plant based protein per serving, and a whopping 12 grams of microbiome friendly fiber. (Shhh…don’t tell your family this soup is good for them too!)
But, if you want to add a little something on the side, I highly recommend apple slices or orange slices (low FODMAP) with a light dusting of cinnamon. Divine!
Oh, this vegan tortilla soup is a great meal prep recipe too! You can make a big batch ahead of time, freeze it, then heat it up and add toppings for a super quick and easy weeknight meal. (Related: 45 Healthy Freezer Meals to Help Your Reclaim Family Dinner Time)
Now, let’s make some vegan tortilla soup!
Quick and Easy Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 32 ounces vegetable broth, i.e. Imagine Organic "No Chicken Broth"
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes , (1 small can)
- 15 ounces black beans, drained, (1 can)
- 8 ounces frozen corn, (1/2 package)
- Cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper, to taste
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Diced avocado, sliced radishes, pumpkin seeds, chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- While oven is heating, combine the broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, and seasonings in a medium to large stock or soup pot. * If use additional vegetables, add them in at this time. Heat on high until boiling, then lower temperature and bring to a simmer while chips are baking.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Brush 1 side of each corn tortilla with olive oil, then cut into strips. Lay tortilla strips on parchment paper and bake for ~ 7-8 minutes or until desired level of crispness. Remove chips from oven.
- While tortilla chips are baking, prep optional toppings and place in individual serving bowls.
- To serve: Divide chips into 4 serving bowls and ladle soup on top. Let everyone add their toppings as desired.
- Use Low FODMAP vegetable broth (i.e FODY Low FODMAP Vegetable Soup Base or Casa de Sante Low FODMAP Vegetable Broth Concentrate)
- Use canned/rinsed/drained lentils (1/2 cup serving is low FODMAP) or garbanzo beans (1/4 cup is low FODMAP) in place of black beans.
- Limit corn kernels to 38 grams/serving.
- Add any low FODMAP toppings as desired.
- Swap homemade tortillas for store bought tortilla chips.
- Use any high oleic oil (high in monounsaturated fat) in place of olive oil.
- Try fire roasted diced tomatoes to give your tortilla soup an extra kick!
- Swap black beans with any beans you you have in your pantry.
- Canned corn can be used in place of frozen corn.
- Add any veggie bits and bobs (leftover veggies) you have in your fridge.
Craving more gluten free vegan soup recipes? Here are a few more I think you’ll love!
And, if you’re looking for easy gluten free recipes, you can check them all out here: Quick and Easy Recipes. Enjoy!
Let’s Chat! Have you made tortilla soup before? What other toppings would you add to this soup? Does your fridge need a good cleaning out too???
This soup is fantastic. So flavorful and easy to make. My family loved it. Thanks for such a lovely recipe.
This looks so yummy! I’m loving the colors with the radishes against the cilantro! So festive and comforting! This is definitely something to keep on hand in the fridge! Thanks for sharing!
This Vegan tortilla soup looks so flavorful and I love all the layers of texture in this! What a warm dish to make on these cold winter days!
YUM! This soup is so delicious! Perfect for a chilly night.
Love the toasted tortillas! I’ve never had tortilla soup before but this looks and sounds so good!
I tried this with the fire roasted tomato and it was fabulous! Thanks so much!
Awesome combinations and awesome toppings too. I love such healthy and comforting options.
This was so good. It really was very easy to make and very filling.
This was such an easy yet delicious soup.
I love all the toppings on this – fun to change them up too, I’m sure. And the base soup looks nice and easy too.
I usually added radish in salad, or sandwich, never in a soup. But wow, I’m missing out! This is really yummy. 🙂
This easy and delicious vegan tortilla soup is just what I’ve been looking for to have on hand for quick lunches.
I love that you added radish to this! I eat a bag of them to myself through the week, but never thought to use them in a soup! After the heavy food of the holidays, this is perfect!