This Vegan Leek and Potato Soup is so delicious, it’s hard to believe how nourishing it is too! Made with simple ingredients, you can whip up this creamy soup in a flash!
If you’re a big soup lover like me, this vegan soup recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight meal, served with a loaf of crusty bread (gluten free).Your whole family is going to love it!!!
My favorite thing about this comforting soup…
It brings back wonderful childhood memories eating at my grandfather’s favorite “fancy occasion” restaurant & celebrity haunt, Scandia, in Hollywood. It was such a special treat to eat there. Everything was delicious, but most especially their creamy, dreamy, Vichyssoise.
If you’re not familiar with Vichyssoise, the main ingredients are potatoes and leeks, like this healthy potato soup recipe. BUT it’s also made with heavy cream AND it’s served cold. And, cold soup is one of the few things my hubby, Mr. Spicy, doesn’t like.
So, this warm vegan leek and potato soup is a delicious compromise and Mr. Spicy approved!
What ingredients do you need to make this easy recipe for potato leek soup?
You only need 5 ingredients for this simple recipe. Plus salt to taste and optional toppings-like yummy Spring pea shoots!
My recipe calls for Yukon Gold potatoes because they add a naturally creamy consistency to the soup. But, feel free to experiment with russet potatoes, purple potatoes (that would be so pretty!), sweet potato, red potatoes, or whatever potatoes you have on hand.
While you can typically find leeks in the grocery store year round, especially late winter to early summer, early Spring is a perfect time to enjoy them.
Tip! Leeks are a dirty veggie. To clean leeks, be sure to clean & rinse ’em well to remove all the loose dirt.
I suggest choosing a sweet version, like Maui or Vidalia, for a subtle layer of additional flavor.
I love making this potato soup recipe with Organic Imagine Vegetarian No Chicken Veggie Broth instead of chicken broth. But, feel free to use any vegetable broth you like.
I like Earth Balance Organic Whipped Buttery Spread or Melt Organic Spread to provide a buttery flavor. Extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, both rich in heart healthy monounsaturated fats would work well too.
Non-Dairy Milk: I don’t use any milk in this vegan potato soup, but feel free to add almond milk, coconut milk, coconut cream, cashew milk, or cashew cream for an extra creamy vegan potato leek soup recipe. If you want a little protein boost, swirl in organic soy milk.
Seasonings: Salt, nutritional yeast, black pepper, Dijon mustard, a splash of lemon juice…
Toppings: Spring pea shoots! Green onions, fresh parsley, dill, thyme sprigs, fresh chives, a drizzle of olive oil…
You can make this Vegan Leek and Potato Soup in one large soup pot!
Beyond that, you’ll need your typical measuring cups and utensils, plus a hand-held immersion blender. Don’t have one? Use a regular blender instead.
Note: You can meal prep this creamy vegan leek soup ahead of time. Make a big batch to freeze, or store in in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Vegan Leek and Potato Soup Nutrition Information
This creamy potato leek soup recipe is light on calories, full of flavor, & packs a healthy punch!
Low in fat and calories. Rich in taste!
At less than 200 calories and 5 grams or fat per serving, this vegan leek and potato soup is much lower in fat & calories than traditional vichyssoise or classic potato leek soup made with cream. And, while I have nothing against enjoying a little heavy creamy once in awhile, I promise you won’t miss it in this luscious vegan leek and potato soup!
Leeks are laced with nutrients.
Sulfur and flavanoid rich leeks belong to the allium family, which also includes garlic and onions. Potential health benefits include cancer prevention, and protection against cardiovascular disease.
In addition, leeks are an excellent source of vitamins A and K (good for bone health), and a very good source of vitamins C and folate~ an important B vitamin that helps support methylation.
Did I mention leeks are also a prebiotic rich food, important for gut health?
Potatoes are nutrition rockstars.
Not only do they provide the creamy texture in this vegan soup recipe, potatoes are packed with vitamin C, potassium, and other key nutrients. There’s no reason to give them up for health reasons. Just sayin!
And, if you choose to enjoy this vegan leek and potato soup cold, a la Vichyssoise, you’re getting some gut healthy resistant starch in your diet too. Pretty cool (literally AND figuratively) right?!
(Learn more: 6 Health Benefits of Potatoes.)
Creamy Vegan Leek and Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegan spread , i.e. Earth Balance or Organic Melt
- 4 cups leeks, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped (approximately 2 pounds)
- 4 cups vegetable broth, i.e. Imagine Organic Low Sodium "No-Chicken" Broth
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon salt, or, to taste
- Spring Pea Shoots, for garnish
- optional seasonings and toppings, see recipe notes
- Heat vegan spread in large soup pot or dutch oven until melted and foaming. Add chopped leeks and onions and sauté over medium high heat until vegetables are slightly wilted, but not browned-approximately 2 minutes.
- Add chopped potatoes, broth, water, and salt to pot, and bring to a boil. Bring down heat to low, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Puree soup in the pot using an immersion blender, OR transfer carefully in batches to a blender, and combine until well blended. Serve warm OR chill soup in refrigerator, and serve cold.
- Top bowls of soup with fresh pea shoots. Enjoy!
- Swap Yukon Gold potatoes with red potatoes, sweet potatoes, purple potatoes, and more.
- Leeks are a dirty veggie! Be sure to clean & rinse ’em well to remove all the loose dirt.
- I suggest choosing a sweet onion for a subtle layer of additional flavor, but any type of onion will work.
- I don’t use any milk in this vegan potato soup, but feel free to add coconut milk, coconut cream, cashew milk, or cashew cream for an extra creamy vegan potato leek soup recipe. And if you want a protein boost, swirl in organic soy milk.
- Salt, nutritional yeast, black pepper, Dijon mustard, splash of lemon juice
- Spring pea shoots! Green onions, fresh parsley, dill, thyme sprigs, fresh chives, a drizzle of olive oil…
Are you a big soup lover like me? Here are some more vegan soup recipes I think you’ll love!
Let’s chat! Have you ever had Vichyssoise before? Do you have any favorite childhood “fancy” restaurants? Would you eat this vegan leek and potato soup cold, hot, or both ways???