Kick off your morning deliciously with these healthy plant-based breakfast ideas! Packed with gut healthy fiber and plant based protein, these nourishing recipes are a great way to boost your energy, improve your focus, and keep your metabolism humming. Note: All of the recipes are gluten free.
Choose from sweet vegan breakfast ideas like smoothie bowls, chia pudding, overnight oats and more. Or dig into plant based savory options like avocado toast, tofu scramble, and breakfast tacos. There’s something delicious for everyone!
Is breakfast really the most important meal of the day?
Whether you follow a vegan lifestyle, a Mediterranean diet, or are dabbling in adding more plant based foods to your diet, there’s plenty of research supporting the benefits of eating a healthy breakfast. This includes boosting your energy, improving focus and concentration, and helping to promote a healthy weight.
Indeed, filling up on protein and fiber at your first meal of the day may lead to less mindless snacking and overeating later in the day.
Note: If you do intermittent fasting, like I do, you can still make your first meal of the day extra nourishing. Be sure to include your favorite plant based protein and high fiber foods, including veggies and/or fruit.
Plant-Based Breakfast Ideas: Healthy Ingredients List
Keep your kitchen stocked with a wide variety of whole food plant based ingredients, including:
- Fresh Fruit: Acai Berries, Apples, Bananas, Citrus Fruit, Frozen and Fresh Berries, Kiwi Fruit, Mango, Melon, Papaya, Pineapple, Pears, Tomatoes…
- Vegetables: Arugula/Kale/Spinach/Other Leafy Greens, Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Butternut Squash (frozen works well in smoothies!), Cauliflower, Garlic, Kimchi, Mushrooms, Onions, Sauerkraut, Sweet potatoes…
- Nuts & Seeds: Almonds, Almond Butter, and Almond Milk, Cashews and Cashew Butter, Flax Eggs, Macadamia Nuts, Pecans, Pumpkin Seeds, Natural Peanut Butter, Sunflower Seeds…
- Beans & Legumes: Black Beans, Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans, Edamame, Lentils (try ’em frozen in this Mango Smoothie!), Pinto Beans, Soy Milk, Tempeh, Tofu…
- Whole Grains: Brown Rice, Buckwheat, Millet, Oats and Steel-Cut Oats, Polenta, Quinoa, Teff, Whole-Grain Bread (gluten free)…
- Healthy Fats: Avocado, Nuts & Seeds (see above), Olive Oil, Unsweetened Coconut Flakes, Plant-Based Omega-3 fatty acids including Chia Seeds, Hemp Seeds, Flax Seeds, and Walnuts
- Boosters & Fun Ingredients: Cacao Nibs, Chocolate Chips, Cacao, Fresh and Dried Herbs and Spices, Hot Sauce, Miso, Plant Based Protein Powder, Vanilla…
High-Protein Breakfast Ideas & Foods
Most of my clients want to know how much protein they should get at breakfast and throughout the day. While needs will vary based on age, gender, and activity level, a good starting point to aim for is 0.8 grams of protein per kg per day. This equates to 55 grams per day for someone weighing 150 pounds. Note: Studies suggest adults over 65 should aim for 1-1.2 grams of protein per kg to gain and or maintain muscle mass.
I find that most of my clients are getting enough protein overall, but fall short on protein at breakfast. I encourage 20+ grams of protein at breakfast and each meal to support satiety, energy levels, and help with muscle growth/maintenance.
I have included the amount of protein (and fiber) for all of the healthy vegan breakfast recipes listed below. And, to round out breakfast with additional protein if needed, here’s a free printable Vegan Protein Guide to help you meet your goals.
Alrighty! Let’s check out all these delicious plant-based breakfast ideas and recipes. I hope you’re hungry!
Sweet Plant-Based Breakfast Ideas & Recipes
Savory Plant-Based Ideas & Recipes
Let’s Chat! Which of these plant-based breakfast ideas would you most like to try? Do you prefer sweet or savory foods for breakfast?
Hi There! I’m EA, a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) in sunny San Diego. I create easy, DELICIOUS gluten free recipes & low FODMAP recipes for a wide variety of diets. Learn more about my nutrition philosophy and my nutrition coaching for digestive health, autoimmune disease, wellness nutrition, & vibrant aging. Sign up for my newsletter, or get in touch~I’d love to connect with you!