Looking for a delicious summer dessert recipe? Look no further than this gluten free rhubarb crisp recipe! This crisp is perfect for a healthy treat and is made with nutritious chia seeds, sweet strawberries, and tart rhubarb. It’s also vegan and low FODMAP friendly so everyone can enjoy it!
Ingredients to Make This Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
- Fresh Rhubarb. Depending on where you live, rhubarb season runs anywhere between April-July. If you can’t find fresh stalks of rhubarb, look for frozen rhubarb in your grocery store.
- Fresh Strawberries. Strawberries are in season longer than rhubarb; however, if you can’t find sweet, juicy fresh strawberries, opt for frozen.
- Chia Seeds. A gut-healthy favorite of mine! Chia seeds are also heart-healthy and help thicken the fresh fruit filling.
- Orange Juice. I add the juice of 1/2 of blood orange. You can swap with lemon juice if you prefer. And lemon zest or orange zest add additional flavor.
- Maple Syrup. This adds additional sweetness if you’re using extra tart fruit. Feel free to omit if you’re cutting back on sugar and using extra sweet strawberries.
Gluten-Free Crisp Topping Ingredients
- Vegan Butter. I use melted Earth Balance or Melt organic butter. Virgin coconut oil would also be tasty.
- Brown Sugar. Cane sugar, coconut sugar, or a low-calorie sweetener like allulose or monk fruit can also be used.
- Gluten-Free Oats. Don’t eat oats? Try almond flour or a half almond, half coconut flour blend.
- Gluten-Free Flours. I use sorghum flour and tapioca starch. You can also use gluten-free all purpose flour to make this easy gluten-free rhubarb crisp recipe.
How to Make Gluten Free Rhubarb Crisp
- STEP ONE. Make the strawberry rhubarb filling by combining sliced rhubarb stalks, sliced strawberries, maple syrup, orange juice, and chia seeds in a large bowl.
- STEP TWO. Melt the vegan butter in a separate bowl and add the dry ingredients. Stir well to combine.
- STEP THREE. Place the fruit filling in a baking dish or individual ramekins. Spoon on rhubarb crumble topping and bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
This gluten-free crisp is a great recipe on its own or makes a yummy protein-packed breakfast served with Greek yogurt (or lactose-free yogurt). If you want a more decadent version, add some whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Beckon makes tasty lactose-free ice cream!
Gluten Free Rhubarb Crisp Nutrition Notes
- Gluten-free, vegan, low FODMAP, and MIND diet friendly.
- Each bowl contains one serving of fruit and is rich in fiber, vitamins C and K, lutein, and antioxidants.
- Did you know that cooked rhubarb supplies a good dose of the antioxidant lycopene, but raw rhubarb has none?
Gluten Free Rhubarb Crisp with Strawberries and Chia Seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Combine fruit, maple syrup, and chia seeds in a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined. Spoon fruit mixture in to 4 ramekins or oven safe glass bowls.
- Melt vegan butter and combine it with the sugar, oats, and flours in a mixing bowl. Stir until well combined. Spoon crisp topping mixture, equally divided, on top of fruit mixture and bake for 25 minutes, or until fruit is cooked through, and crisp topping is light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 30 minutes before serving.
- If strawberries and rhubarb are out of season, use frozen.
- Use any berries in place of strawberries.
- Use any gluten-free flour in place of sorghum flour.