This vegan split pea soup is nourishing and delicious! Easy to make, and packed with healthy fiber, it’s perfect for a light, yet filling lunch or dinner.
When it comes to easy and delicious winter meals, a piping hot bowl of soup is at the top of my list. Like this hearty, rustic, stick-to-your-ribs vegan split pea soup.
While traditional split pea soup is made with ham (also yummy), I made this vegan version so SiSi, the vegetarian in our family, could eat it too.
I promise you won’t miss the meat, but if you’re craving a more traditional split pea soup taste, feel free to add some chopped ham in before serving.
Is Split Pea Soup healthy?
You betcha’! This vegan split pea soup has 17 grams of plant based protein per serving, is rich in potassium (a key nutrient for maintaining healthy blood pressure, and one that many of us fall short on-myself included), and is packed with microbiome friendly fiber-18 grams per serving!
What’s in Split Pea Soup? How do you make vegan Split Pea Soup?
- Split peas. Of course 🙂
- Veggies.Traditionally carrots, onions and celery, although I omitted the celery as I’m not a huge fan. And, I added chopped potatoes because, YUM, potatoes!
- Broth. I used my favorite vegetable broth that has a mild taste-Imagine Organic No-Chicken Broth. But you can use any broth, including chicken broth if you’re not making a vegan or vegetarian version.
- Seasonings. I made my vegan split pea soup with fresh thyme and oregano, plus salt and pepper. Feel free to experiment with any combo of fresh or dried herbs for additional flavor.
- Other. Traditional split pea soup is made with a ham bone for extra flavor. Obviously I omitted this in my vegan version, but if you’ve got a leftover ham bone, throw it on in!
Make it a Meal / Serving Suggestions
- Serve this vegan split pea soup with garlic toast (or my best EVER cheese rolls) and oranges wedges for a light dinner.
- Enjoy leftovers with a side Mediterranean salad (greens, sun dried tomatoes, feta cheese, & balsamic vinaigrette) for a quick and easy lunch.
Vegan Split Pea Soup
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion skin removed
- 4 medium carrots peeled
- 1 pound split peas
- 64 ounces vegetable broth i.e. "No Chicken" Broth, low sodium
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme lightly chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano lightly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds potatoes Yukon Gold
- Finely chop onion and carrots in a food processor, or with a knife. Set aside. Finely chop potatoes (keep peel on) in food processor or with a knife.
- Heat a 6 or 8 quart stockpot on medium high. Add olive oil and chopped onions and carrot. Saute for 3 minutes to soften vegetables.
- Add thyme and oregano to vegetables, along with split peas and vegetable broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to simmer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes add potatoes and simmer for an additional 30 minutes, or until split peas are cooked.
- Serve while hot. Leftover soup can be cooled to room temperature, then placed in a freezer safe container to freeze for up to 3 months.
Tips and Ingredient Swaps
- Add finely chopped celery.
- Substitute fresh oregano and thyme for any favorite fresh or dried herbs of choice.
- Add ham bone when cooking, or add chopped ham when serving if desired.
- You can try making this in an Instant Pot for a shorter cooking time. If you try this, let me know how it turns out!
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Soup is GREAT food! Especially this nourishing #vegan #glutenfree Split Pea Soup – perfect for a light, yet satisfying lunch or dinner.” quote=”Soup is GREAT food! Especially this nourishing vegan, gluten free Split Pea Soup – perfect for a light, yet satisfying lunch or dinner.”]
Craving more healthy soup recipes? Here are some of my favorites!
- Kale Basmati Soup with Pumpkin Seed Pesto (vegetarian, gluten free)
- Creamy Potato Leek Soup (vegan, gluten free)
- Cauliflower Soup w/ Pistachio Harissa Pesto (vegan, gluten free)
- Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup (vegetarian, gluten free)
- Healthy Cream of Tomato Soup (vegetarian, gluten free)
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. I may make a small commission if you purchase any of these products, at no additional cost to you. I only share products I personally use or recommend. Your purchases help support the cost of running The Spicy RD blog. Thank you so much!
Have you made split pea soup before? Traditional or vegetarian/vegan? What’s your all-time favorite soup???
Hi There! I’m EA, an integrative registered dietitian nutritionist in sunny San Diego. I create easy, DELICIOUS gluten free recipes & low FODMAP recipes for a wide variety of diets: anti-inflammatory, low carb, Mediterranean, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, & more. My nutrition specialties include wellness nutrition, digestive health (celiac disease, IBS, IBD, SIBO), autoimmune disease, & healthy aging. Learn more about my nutrition philosophy and my nutrition coaching services, or get in touch~I’d love to connect with you!