An easy, healthy refreshing grapefruit salad topped with avocado, hazelnuts, and honey mint dressing. Enjoy as a side salad (makes 4 servings) or light, yet satisfying entree. Recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, dairy free, Mediterranean and MIND diet friendly. See notes for easy low FODMAP and vegan options!
Get your digestive juices flowing with this refreshing grapefruit salad!
Did you know bitter foods, like grapefruit, arugula, and radicchio are helpful for digestion? Not only is this grapefruit salad ridiculously pretty (am i right?!), by kicking off your meal with it, you’re stimulating enzymes to help make the rest of your meal easier to digest. Win, win!
(Learn more here: 8 Tips to Improve Digestion Naturally)
It’s super nourishing too! Here are the ingredients:
- Arugula. One of my fave leafy greens to support brain and overall health. (Learn more about nutrition and brain health here: MIND Diet Meal Plan)
- Radicchio. A super nourishing way to add a pop of color to your salads.
- Grapefruit. Highly underrated IMO. Refreshing, packed with vitamins C and A.
- Avocado. Everything tastes better with avocado. Right?!!!
- Hazelnuts. Not just for Nutella-ha! Rich in heart healthy monounsaturated fats. Excellent source of vitamin E. Yummy!
- Mint. Adds so much flavor to this grapefruit salad. Peppermint may help ease digestive discomfort. Easy to grow too!
- Honey Mint Dressing. (olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, honey, mint, grapefruit juice, S&P). Swoon!
Be sure to see recipe notes for easy ingredient swaps and vegan & low FODMAP option!
Step-by-Step Guide to Making Your Own Grapefruit Salad
STEP 1: PREP THE SALAD
Chop radicchio and combine with the arugula (I used pre-washed baby arugula) in a bowl. Section the grapefruit by removing skin, cutting into slices, then into wedges. (Reserve any grapefruit juice from your cutting board for the dressing.)
Add half the grapefruit sections to the radicchio arugula mixture and toss to combine.
STEP 2: MAKE THE DRESSING FOR THE GRAPEFRUIT SALAD
Add olive oil, vinegar, mint, honey, and grapefruit juice to a blender. Blend on high until ingredients are well combined. Pour into a small bowl or jar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pour ~ 2/3 of the dressing on the arugula/radicchio/grapefruit mixture and toss well to combine.
STEP 3: ASSEMBLE THE SALAD
Divide arugula/radicchio/grapefruit mixture between 4 plates (or 2 if serving as a main entree). Toast the hazelnuts. Slice the avocado. Place hazelnuts, avocado, and remaining grapefruit sections on top of salad. Tear up mint and place on top. Drizzle lightly with additional dressing. Enjoy!
Refreshing Grapefruit Salad with Avocado, Hazelnuts & Honey Mint Dressing
Honey Mint Dressing
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups radicchio, chopped
- 1 large grapefruit, cut into sections; reserve juice for dressing
- 1 large avocado, cut into 12 slices
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted & chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, lightly torn
Prep the Salad
- Remove skin from grapefruit, slice into circles, then cut into triangular segments. Reserve any juice when cutting up the grapefruit for the dressing.
- Add arugula, chopped radicchio, and 1/2 of the sectioned grapefruit to a salad bowl.
Make the Dressing
- Add olive oil, vinegar, mint, honey, and grapefruit juice to a blender. Blend on high until ingredients are well combined. Pour into a small bowl or jar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Assemble the Salad
- Divide arugula, radicchio, and grapefruit salad mix between 4 plates.
- Toast hazelnuts in a skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly for ~ 2 minutes. Remove from pan and sprinkle on top of salads.
- Slice avocado into ~ 12 slices and divide amongst salads.
- Place remaining grapefruit sections on salads, along with lightly torn mint. Serve.
- Swap grapefruit with oranges (cara cara oranges are delicious and add a hint of tart grapefruit flavor)
- Use 1/2 avocado for 4 servings (1/8 per each serving)
- Swap honey for maple syrup.
- Swap arugula with any variety of leafy greens.
- Red cabbage is a nourishing stand in for the radicchio.
- No grapefruit? Try blood oranges or cara cara oranges instead.
- Swap the honey with maple syrup for a vegan version.
- Use any favorite variety of nuts in place of the hazelnuts.
- Makes 2 entree size servings, or double the recipe for 4 entree size servings.
Craving more healthy salad recipes? Here are a few of my favorites. Enjoy!
Let’s Chat! Will you make this grapefruit salad? Anything else you would add to it???
Hi There! I’m EA, a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) in sunny San Diego. I create easy, DELICIOUS gluten free recipes & low FODMAP recipes for a wide variety of diets. Learn more about my nutrition philosophy and my nutrition coaching for digestive health, autoimmune disease, wellness nutrition, & vibrant aging. Sign up for my newsletter, or get in touch~I’d love to connect with you!