This apple smoothie tastes like autumn in a glass! And, with only 5 ingredients plus ice, you can be happily slurping it down in 5 minutes or less!
Apple Smoothie Ingredients
With apple season upon us, I decided to create my own fall inspired apple smoothie with 5 simple ingredients. You probably have them in your kitchen right now. Go ahead-I’ll wait while you check 🙂
- Fresh apples
- Oats. Certified gluten-free if needed.
- Milk. Dairy or non-dairy like this easy 1-minute almond milk. For additional plant based protein, choose unsweetened organic soymilk.
- Maple sugar. Maple syrup works well too. Or, choose a natural low cal sweetener like erythritol, stevia, or monk fruit.
- Cinnamon. Ginger and cardamom would also be tasty in this apple smoothie!
- Ice Cubes. To make it nice and cold!
Do you peel apples for smoothies?
While you certainly could peel your apples for this smoothie, I prefer to leave the peel on for added fiber and nutrients. Did you know an apple with skin has considerably more vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and potassium that a peeled apple?
What apples are best for smoothies?
This may be obvious, but use the freshest, sweetest, in-season apples possible. I made this apple smoothie with a “so-so” apple and a fresh, sweet honeycrisp apple, and the taste difference between both was amazing. The honeycrisp version won, hands down!
Other sweeter varieties of apples include gala, fuji, golden delicious, ambrosia, envy, kiku, koru, and several others. I’ve never tried it with green apples, but if you’re in the mood for a tart smoothie, give it a try! (Check out this great list of apple varieties from bestapples.com)
Apple Smoothie Health Benefits
- FIBER. At 8 grams of fiber/large serving, this smoothie will keep your tummy full and your blood sugar level stable until your next meal. It also helps promote a healthy gut microbiome.
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY. Apples, especially with the skin on, are a good source of the flavonoid quercetin. This natural anti-inflammatory and immune booster, acts like an antihistamine and may provide protection against certain types of cancers, as well as heart disease. Yes, it’s true…An apple a day, may indeed keep the doctor away!
(Check it out! Nutrition for Optimal Immunity Meal Plan & Guidebook)
Fresh Apple Pie Smoothie
- 1 medium to large apple, core removed, chopped
- 1 cup milk, dairy or non-dairy
- 1/3 cup gluten free oats, use certified gluten-free oats if needed
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup, or other natural sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- ice cubes, approximately 1 cup
- Place all ingredients in a blender such as a Vitamix, and blend until desired consistency is achieved. Serve in a glass with additional cinnamon sprinkled on top.
- Use dairy or non-dairy like this easy 1-minute almond milk. For a plant based version with additional protein, choose unsweetened organic soymilk.
- Don’t have maple sugar? Maple syrup works well too. Or, choose a natural low cal sweetener like erythritol, stevia, or monk fruit.
- Ginger and cardamom would also be tasty in this apple smoothie!
- For additional protein, fiber, and healthy fats you can add peanut butter, almond butter, chia seeds, hemp seeds, or walnuts. Any others you would add?
Let’s chat! Have you made an apple smoothie before? What’s your favorite apple variety? Anything else you would add to this apple smoothie?
Craving more fresh apple recipes? Here are a few of my favorites!
P.S. Want more smoothie recipes? You’ll love these 7 Healthy Smoothie Recipes for Gorgeous Glowing Skin!