I received a gift card to offset the expense of my ingredients for this Dutch Baby Pancake with Monterey Jack Cheese, Asparagus, and Microgreens. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the California Milk Advisory Board and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Note to self: Next time, read the Recipe ReDux Recipe Contest directions first.
Had I followed my own advice, I would have FIRST created this Savory Dutch Baby Pancake w/ Garlic Jack Cheese, Asparagus, & Microgreens for you, INSTEAD of Honeyed Meyer Lemon Goat Cheese Spread with Strawberry Muffin Crumble.
Your gonna’ have to wait for that one though.
I hope you don’t mind 🙂
I think you will LOVE this savory gluten-free Dutch baby made from Real California dairy products and cheese.
Because that’s the real reason we’re here today.
Isn’t that always the reason???
Kind of cool…Did you know that Monterey Jack is a descendant of a cheese produced in the California missions more than 200 years ago, and that it occupies a unique niche in California history as perhaps the most definitive California cheese???
And to talk about about all things dairy with the Real California milk seal, which by the way, involve cows…
In case you didn’t know, I have a bit of a thing for goats. SiSi call me The Goat Mama 🙂 I like cows too!
But back to Real California dairy and all the healthy and delicious recipes you can create with it…
Like this savory Dutch Baby Pancake-rich in protein and calcium from the California cheese and milk , plus more protein from the eggs, and healthy green veggies, this Dutch Baby Pancake is delicious way to start OR end the day.
Dutch Baby Pancake w/ Monterey Jack Cheese, Asparagus, & Microgreens
- 2 cups 1-inch pieces of cut up fresh asparagus
- 1/2 cup California milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour OR regular all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons California butter
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded California Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups microgreens
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Steam the asparagus in a medium sized steamer pan on the stovetop OR in the microwave until tender crisp.
- While the asparagus is steaming, combine the flour, milk, eggs, and salt in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Melt the butter in a large cast iron pan or ovenproof dish over medium heat. Add the steamed asparagus, plus fresh ground black pepper to taste, and saute for 1 minute.
- Pour the batter over the asparagus in the pan, top with the shredded cheese, and transfer the skillet to the oven to bake for 15 minutes, or until the pancake is puffed and golden brown.
- Cut in to wedges, top with microgreens, and serve while still warm.
Do you consume dairy products? If so, what types and how do you use them? Any favorite recipes to share???