This yummy Beefshi Hiker’s Sushi Hand Roll is made with beef jerky instead of fish. It’s an innovative new sushi style concept featuring pastrami, roast beef, and other prepared beef products in rolls with rice and vegetables. And, it’s absolutely delicious for an appetizer, snack, lunch, or to toss in your backpack on a hike!
Sushi without Fish is Still Called Sushi
Contrary to popular belief, sushi doesn’t mean raw seafood. Instead, sushi refers to the vinegared rice that’s paired with many ingredients including fish, vegetables, or meat.
The various fillings that can be used in sushi are limitless. You can use your own favorite ingredients-including deli meats-to come up with your own creative twist on sushi without fish-like this flavor packed Beefshi Hiker’s Hand Roll made with one of my favorite prepared meats-beef jerky.
Skip the sandwich & make Beefshi instead!
This Hiker’s Hand Roll and other Beefshi sushi rolls without fish are a fun way to enjoy prepared meat in a different way than on a sandwich.
In addition, beef jerky and other prepared beef products are a convenient source of protein, vitamins, and minerals-especially iron and zinc.
Even better, once you master the skill of sushi making, you’ll discover just how easy this Beefshi Hiker’s Hand Roll is to make!
How to Make Sushi Without Fish-AKA The Beefshi Hiker’s Hand Roll
A little confession…Before making this Beefshi Hiker’s Hand Roll, I’d eaten plenty of sushi, but had never tried making it before. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to make! Here are the steps for making this Beefshi Hiker’s Hand Roll…
- Make sushi rice. Short grain rice is perfect for making sushi!
- Make an omelet.
- Lay out all your ingredients, mise en place: Sushi rice, omelet strips, nori wraps, beef jerky, pea shoots, avocado slices, and sriracha.
- Prep a bowl of hand vinegar (to keep your hands from sticking to the sushi rice).
- Lay out your nori wrapper and top with sushi rice at one end.
- Next, top rice with beef jerky, omelet slices, avocado, and pea shoots.
- Roll ‘er up, drizzle with siracha, and eat!
Watch the video to see how easy this Beefshi Hiker’s Hand Roll is to make!
If you love the idea of eating sushi without fish, be sure to check out all the other creative and delicious Beefshi recipes created by a culinary institute of American-trained chef.
Beefshi Hiker’s Hand Roll
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 sheets nori, cut in half
- 2 cups prepared sushi rice
- 2.85 ounces beef jerky
- 1 cup pea shoots, or watercress
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Sriracha, soy and/or wasabi , for serving
- Set a non-stick skillet over medium heat and coat it with cooking spray. Pour in the eggs and let them set until firm. Slide the omelet out of the pan, let it cool slightly and then cut into thin slices.
- To assemble hand rolls simply layer ingredients atop a piece of nori, starting with rice and building your roll as desired. Toll the norii nto a cone, top with sriracha, soy and/or wasabi, as desired, and eat!
- Follow this recipe for sushi rice. It makes 12 cups, so you will have a lot left over. Or, cut the recipe in quarters to make 3 cups cooked sushi rice.
- Following a low FODMAP diet? Choose beef jerky without garlic or onion seasoning and limit sriracha to 1 teaspoon per serving.
- Note: Cook time does not include time to make the sushi rice.
- You can prep the sushi rice and omelet ahead of time. Then, you can roll up these Beefshi Hiker’s Hand Rolls in less than 10 minutes!.
P.S. Craving more easy beef recipes? You’ll love these Low Carb Roast Beef Lettuce Wraps!
Let’s Chat! Have you eaten sushi without fish? What other creative ways can you think of to prepare beef with sushi? Do you have any questions about Beefshi or how to make this Hiker’s Hand Roll? Leave a comment or send me a message. I love your comments and I’m happy to answer your questions!