This healthy queso dip w/ broccoli, bell peppers, Parmesan cheese and a2 Milk® is a nourishing and delicious way to to ring in the new year, or to enjoy as a healthy snack or appetizer any time of the year!
This post is sponsored by The a2 Milk© Company. All content and opinions are 100% my own. I love sharing products and brands that fit with my nutrition philosophy, and that I think you will enjoy as well!
Tis’ the season…
For sugar and spice, and everything nice, and, umm…
Bloating, indigestion, and tummy aches galore. Sigh…
Does any of this apply to you?
I hope not, but if it does, you’ll love this healthy queso dip with broccoli, bell peppers, Parmesan cheese, and belly friendly a2 Milk®.
Although I’m able to enjoy cow’s milk without any tummy troubles, many of my clients with IBS or food sensitivities can not.
And, while there are many cow’s milk alternatives, including goat milk, nut milk, and more, for those of you who love the taste of cow’s milk, along with the nutrients it provides, especially calcium, potassium, and protein, a2 milk is a delicious alternative to regular cow’s milk.
What is a2 Milk®?
If you’re not familiar with a2 Milk®, let me give you the quick scoop…
Regular cows milk here in the United Sates comes from cows that produce 2 types of beta-casein protein, A1 and A2, while a2 Milk® contains, you guess it, only A2 beta-casein protein.
What the heck is the difference between A1 and A2 protein?
Research shows that A1 protein may cause digestive discomfort in some people, while A2 protein is more easily digested.
And, although lactose, the main sugar in milk, is the cause for some of this discomfort, lactose intolerance may not be the only culprit, as research published in the Nutrition Journal found all participants were able to drink a2 Milk© without digestive issues even though it contains lactose.
What’s in a2 Milk? Is it genetically engineered?
Nope! a2 Milk® simply comes from cows that only produce A2 protein. Also, you can feel good knowing that the cows that produce a2 Milk are not treated with growth hormones, rBST, and the milk is antibiotic free.
In addition, a2 Milk® is Validus Certified which is awarded to farms that follow stringent animal welfare guidelines. You can learn more about the Validus Certification process here: Validus Dairy Animal Welfare Review
Now for the recipe…
Healthy Queso Dip with Broccoli, Bell Peppers, Parmesan Cheese, and a2 Milk
Healthy Queso Dip w/ Broccoli, Bell Peppers, & Parmesan Cheese + The Scoop on A2 Milk
- 2 cups broccoli florets + optional extra for serving
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red orange, or yellow bell pepper + (optional) extra for serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 1/4 cups whole a2 Milk®
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- For serving: Extra veggies see above + crackers (gluten-free or regular) if desired.
- Place broccoli florets in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high power for 2 minutes, or until lightly cooked. Carefully remove to chopping board and lightly chop. Set broccoli aside, and dice shallot, chop bell pepper into ~1/8 inch pieces, and mince garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic, and saute for 2 minutes, or until slightly softened. Add bell peppers and saute an additional 2 minutes, then add broccoli along with salt and pepper. Saute for 1 more minute, then turn off heat.
- Stir the cornstarch into a small bowl with a 1/4 cup of a2 Milk®. Pour the remaining 3 cups of the a2 Milk® into a medium size saucepan, and heat on high until gently boiling. Turn down heat to medium, and stir in the cornstarch/milk mixture. Continue stirring constantly for about 5 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Stir in Parmesan cheese, and cook mixture, again stirring constantly, for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add cooked vegetables to milk/cheese mixture, and stir well to combine. Place in serving dish and enjoy with additional chopped veggies, plus crackers, if desired, while queso dip is warm.
[Tweet “#AD Ring in the #NewYear w/ Healthy Queso Dip w/ Broccoli, Peppers and Parmesan Cheese @a2MilkUSA”]
This healthy queso dip is SO easy to make!
And, if you’ve overdone it on on the holiday goodies, like me, I advise you go heavy on serving it with veggies for a healthy snack, or new years eve appetizer to share with your family and friends.
It would also be delicious served on top of lentil or bean based pasta for a healthy, family friendly twist on macaroni and cheese.
Oh, the delicious possibilities are endless…
Learn more about the research behind a2 Milk® and stay up-to-date on a2 Milk digestive health & other health benefits being studied.
- Effects of milk containing only A2 beta casein versus milk containing both A1 and A2 beta casein proteins on gastrointestinal physiology, symptoms of discomfort, and cognitive behavior of people with self-reported intolerance to traditional cows’ milk.
- Graphic: Cows’ Milk A1 & A2 Beta-Casein Type Protein Digestion
*A quick note for anyone following a low FODMAP diet for IBS…Even though a2 Milk® has been shown to be well tolerated, it’s still a significant source of lactose, so I suggest waiting to try it during the FODMAP re-introduction phase as opposed to the FODMAP elimination phase of the diet. If you have tried a2 Milk®, I’d love to hear if you tolerate better than regular cow’s milk.
Have you heard of, or tried a2 Milk® before? If so, what digestive or other health differences have you noticed with a2 Milk®? Any fun plans for New Year’s Eve???
Does your diet need a DELICIOUS re-boot? Click here to learn more about my nutrition coaching services and healthy cooking classes!