Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Easy Shakshuka Recipe with Chickpeas, Tomatoes, and Spices
This Easy Shakshuka Recipe with Chickpeas, Tomatoes, and Spices, will tantalize your tastebuds. It's packed with vegetarian protein & fiber-perfect for any meal of the day!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion small, peeled, & finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled & minced
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans i.e 1 15-ounce can, drained & rinsed
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- Crushed red pepper flakes ~ 1/2-1 teaspoon or to taste
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes i.e. 1 28-ounce jar or can
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 6 large eggs
- Fresh oregano chopped, to taste
- Feta cheese optional, to sprinkle on top
- Bread for serving optional
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat a 12-inch oven proof skillet (cast iron works well) over medium heat. Add olive oil to the skillet, then add the chopped onions. Saute over medium heat for 2 minutes, then stir in the garlic.
Add chickpeas to the skillet, along with paprika, fennel seed, and crushed red peppers. Stir well to combine ingredients and saute for 1 minute.
Pour crushed tomatoes into the skillet, stir to combine with other ingredients, and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spread tomato chickpea mixture evenly across the skillet, and carefully crack the eggs, one at a time, over mixture. Transfer skillet to the oven and bake for ~ 8-10 minutes or until eggs are cooked to desired doneness.
Divide into 4 servings and top with fresh oregano and feta cheese if desired. Serve with fresh, crusty gluten free bread if desired-it's delicious dipped in the Spicy Shakshuka sauce!
Low FODMAP Option
- Omit the garlic and onion.
- Swap the extra virgin olive oil with garlic oil (I like this one from FODY foods).
- For extra flavor, thinly slice the green part of one leek, and saute it in place of the regular onion.
- Crusty (gluten free) bread
- Fresh fruit or a green salad
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 316mg | Sodium: 683mg | Potassium: 1057mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 1407IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 7mg