Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Vegan Split Pea Soup
This vegan split pea soup is nourishing and delicious! Easy to make, and packed with healthy fiber, it's perfect for a light, yet filling lunch or dinner.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion skin removed
- 4 medium carrots peeled
- 1 pound split peas
- 64 ounces vegetable broth i.e. "No Chicken" Broth, low sodium
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme lightly chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano lightly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds potatoes Yukon Gold
Finely chop onion and carrots in a food processor, or with a knife. Set aside. Finely chop potatoes (keep peel on) in food processor or with a knife.
Heat a 6 or 8 quart stockpot on medium high. Add olive oil and chopped onions and carrot. Saute for 3 minutes to soften vegetables.
Add thyme and oregano to vegetables, along with split peas and vegetable broth. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to simmer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes add potatoes and simmer for an additional 30 minutes, or until split peas are cooked.
Serve while hot. Leftover soup can be cooled to room temperature, then placed in a freezer safe container to freeze for up to 3 months.
Tips and Ingredient Swaps
- Add finely chopped celery.
- Substitute fresh oregano and thyme for any favorite fresh or dried herbs of choice.
- Add ham bone when cooking, or add chopped ham when serving if desired.
- You can try making this in an Instant Pot for a shorter cooking time. If you try this, let me know how it turns out!
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 346kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 182mg | Potassium: 1343mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 104.2% | Vitamin C: 21.3% | Calcium: 9.8% | Iron: 39.2%