Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Gluten Free Baked French Toast w/ Gingerbread Cream Cheese Frosting
Spoil your family & holiday guests w/ this scrumptious low FODMAP, gluten free baked french toast. It's easy to make & the gingerbread cream cheese frosting is divine!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr 25 mins
Servings: 6 servings
Gluten Free Baked French Toast
- 1 teaspoon coconut/vegetable oil or cooking spray
- 9 slices Canyon Bakehouse Stay-Fresh Gluten Free Bread
- 1 1/2 cups dairy non-dairy, or lactose free milk
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Gingerbread Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8- ounce package neufchatel cream cheese, or lactose free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt or lactose free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Grease a 9x9 baking dish with oil or cooking spray.
Cut bread into cubes and place in baking dish.
Combine milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a blender, and blend until ingredients are well combined. Pour mixture over bread and use clean hands or a fork to mix bread and liquids together. Press mixture down to ensure all bread cubes are coated. Coverand place in refrigerator for 30 minutes, or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C.). When oven is ready, place baking dish on center rack and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is light golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into 6 slices and serving.
While the french toast is baking, prepare the cream cheese frosting (this can also be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve). Place neufatchel or cream cheese, yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla, and spices in a medium size mixing bowl. Combine ingredients well with an hand mixer. Spread on top of baked french toast to serve.
LOW FODMAP VERSION:
- Make with lactose free milk or low FODMAP plant based milk, and lactose free yogurt. You can use lactose free OR regular cream cheese as a 2 tablespoon serving is considered low FODMAP per MONASH.
- As of 12/8/17, Canyon Bakehouse Country White Stay Fresh Gluten Free Bread contains only low FODMAP ingredients, but not all varieties do, so be sure and read ingredient labels.
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 211mg | Sodium: 462mg | Potassium: 228mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 820IU | Calcium: 233mg | Iron: 1.1mg