Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Easy Steamed Carrots with Feta & Pine Nuts
What's easier, or more delicious, than a simple side dish of steamed carrots, toasted pine nuts, and feta cheese? Not much!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 cups sliced carrots or baby carrots
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and place pine nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for approximately 2 minutes, or until light golden brown. Be careful not to let the pine nuts burn.
While the pine nuts are toasting, peel and slice the carrots into ~1/4 inch rounds.
Steam the carrots in a steamer pan on your stovetop OR in the microwave until tender crisp, or desired consistency is achieved. Note: Stovetop method takes ~5-10 minutes and microwave method takes ~3-5 minutes.
Mix crumbled feta cheese and pine nuts into carrots, and serve while still warm.
- Depending on my mood, I either steam carrots over the stovetop with my steamer insert, or I stem them in the microwave with my Lekue steam case.
- I usually make these with sliced carrots, but to keep things super simple, use baby carrots instead.
- Want to save even more time? Top with raw pine nuts instead of toasting them.
- No need to add butter, but you can add some if you like. A smidge of nut oil or virgin coconut oil would be tasty too.
- For extra flavor, top with fresh herbs. The Vegetarian Flavor Bible (one of my go-to books for creating recipes) suggest pairing carrots with basil, chives, cilantro, dill, mint, parsley, rosemary, tarragon, and thyme. So many delicious options!
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 391mg | Potassium: 295mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 13360IU | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 1.5mg