Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Smokey & Sweet Turkey Chili
This Smoky and Sweet Turkey Chili is a healthy and delicious recipe to add to your chili recipe collection!
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 2-cup servings
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or organic canola oil divided
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large Spanish onion diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground dried chipotle or to taste
- 4 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 28- ounce can crushed tomatoes preferably fire roasted
- 1 15- ounce can dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup dark pure maple syrup
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup toasted pepitas
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add turkey and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon and stirring occasionally, until completely browned. Transfer turkey and any juices to a bowl and set aside.
Return pot to medium-high heat and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion, garlic, and salt and cook, stirring often, for 6 to 10 minutes, until onion is soft and browned.
Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, and chipotle and cook, stirring, for 30-90 seconds, until spices are fragrant and starting to toast and darken slightly.
Add vinegar and stir for 30 seconds to 1 minute,until liquid is evaporated.
Add water and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits and spices from the bottom of the pot.
Add tomatoes, beans, syrup, and browned turkey, stirring to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 14 minutes, until turkey and onions are tender.
Serve topped with avocado, cilantro, and pepitas.