A round-up of my favorite gluten-free frozen desserts!
Almost halfway through May and Celiac Awareness Month 2013, and with beach weather, flip flops, and the dog days of summer firmly in sight, what better way to celebrate, than with an update on what’s new in the world of celiac disease and gluten-sensitivity, and some of my favorite frozen gluten-free treats?
First the update…
Then the treats!
Celiac Disease Info & Statistics
- 83 %. Although, this number may not be news to some, one of the most alarming facts about celiac disease is that most people who have the disease aren’t even aware of it yet. Indeed, of the estimated 1 in 141 Americans with celiac disease, 83 % of them are either undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. This is alarming, because untreated celiac disease can lead to serious health issues including osteoporosis, infertility, thyroid disease, and an increased risk of certain types of cancers, including intestinal lymphoma.
- Classic symptoms of celiac disease include diarrhea, weight loss or growth failure, and anemia, however, researchers now know that many people eventually diagnosed with celiac disease don’t suffer from any of these symptoms, and indeed a recent survey found that 35 % of people at risk for celiac disease had no reason to suspect their symptoms were due to undiagnosed celiac disease. Other symptoms may include rash, unexplained infertility, fatigue, headaches, and many more.
- Celiac disease was once thought of as effecting only children, but it is now known that it affects men and women of all ages and races, and can strike at any time. Indeed, 30 % of people newly diagnosed with celiac disease are over 60!
- There is currently no pharmaceutical cure for celiac disease, but fortunately there is a treatment, and that is a lifelong gluten-free diet.
Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity Info & Statistics
- Current research estimates that about 6 % of the population has non-celiac gluten sensitivity.
- The exact cause of non-celiac gluten sensitivity is unknown, and there is currently no approved test to diagnose it, therefore it becomes a diagnosis of exclusion. If gluten-sensitivity is suspected, it is extremely important to rule out celiac disease before trying out a gluten-free diet, as a certain amount of gluten must be regularly consumed for celiac blood tests to be accurate.
- Non-celiac gluten sensitivity shares many symptoms with celiac disease, however a 2012 report showed that individuals with non-celiac gluten sensitivity have a prevalence of non-GI symptoms, including headache, “foggy mind,” joint pain, and numbness in the legs, arms or fingers.
- Preliminary research indicates that non-celiac gluten sensitivity does not not cause damage to the small intestine, but because so little is known about the condition, researchers still recommend a strict, lifelong gluten-free diet.
Huge thanks to my friends at The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness for providing this information and these statistics!
Learn More & Help Spread the Word
- If you suspect you or your child may have celiac disease or gluten-sensitivity, fill out and print this Celiac Disease Symptoms Checklist and take it to your physician.
- Do you suspect a family member may have celiac disease? Give them this Family Talk Guide and talk to them when they are ready.
- Learn more about Celiac Disease and Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity at The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, and check out all my favorite Gluten-Free Support resources and recipes right here. You can also read about my journey to a gluten-free diet to restore my own health here.
Thanks so much for stopping by to learn more and help spread the word. You definitely deserve to indulge in a little frozen gluten-free goodness!
Gluten-Free Frozen Dessert Round-Up
Gingery Peach Frozen Yogurt & Float ~ Get the recipe here.
Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Popsicles ~ Get the recipe here.
Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Dough Ice Cream ~ Get the recipe here.
Lemonade Pie “Deconstructed” ~ Get the recipe here.
To your good health!!!
Did you know that May is Celiac Awareness Month? Do you, or someone you know have celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity? What celiac/gluten-sensitivity stat listed here surprises you the most???
Hi There! I’m EA, an integrative registered dietitian nutritionist in sunny San Diego. I create easy, DELICIOUS gluten free recipes & low FODMAP recipes for a wide variety of diets: anti-inflammatory, low carb, Mediterranean, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, & more. My nutrition specialties include wellness nutrition, digestive health (celiac disease, IBS, IBD, SIBO), autoimmune disease, & optimal aging. Learn more about my nutrition philosophy and my nutrition coaching services, or get in touch~I’d love to connect with you!