I’d love for you to join me on this 20 for 2020 goals and habits challenge for a healthy, happy New Year!
This post may contain affiliate links for products I personally use and recommend. If you purchase any of these products, I may receive a small commission. This helps to support the cost of running this blog, at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for your support!
Whether you make resolutions every year, or, it’s been a loooong time since you’ve put together a list of goals and habits for the new year (like me!), I invite you to join me on my journey in making this the healthiest, happiest New Year’s yet!
Why I’m excited about my 2020 health and happiness goals…
I just discovered the FREE Better app yesterday, and I’m already hooked. It was started by Gretchen Rubin, the author of 2 of my favorite books, The Happiness Project and Better Than Before. As a member, you have access to a supportive community, along with private accountability and discussion groups tailored to your specific tendency (see below).
I took The Four Tendencies Quiz which revealed I’m a questioner (although I’m already questioning that-ha!).
Interestingly enough, instead of taking time to deliberate my list (I am a questioner after all!), I decided to go with my gut, and put together my list based on both what is doable AND what my instincts are telling me. So, without further adieu, here’s my 20 for 2020 list!
20 for 2020
- Hang art on at least one wall in my family room.
- Work up to 2 (preferably 3) strength training workouts per week.
- Focus on fiber for a healthy gut microbiome: 25+ grams per day.
- Cherish the small things that make me happy each day.
- Improve my flexibility via stretching and/or yoga.
- Add one longer (45+ minute) cardio workout each week.
- Do at least one hike per month.
- Moderate my social media to limited times during the day.
- Create and launch a nutrition program for my business.
- Have less credit card debt by the end of 2020.
- Finish IFNA training track 1 & start track 2.
- Meditate 5+ times per week.
- Be less judgmental.
- Laugh daily.
- Goal: 9000+ steps average (2017 was 8443, 2018 was 7552)
- Do something creative every day.
- De-clutter & clean ever day.
- Be an active listener & more present in each moment.
- Read at least 1 fiction book per month.
- #5in45 – get up & move for 5 minutes every 45 minutes. Even better, drink water each time too.
How I plan on keeping myself accountable and motivated…
In addition to using the Better app (you can follow me on the app), I’ve printed out a list of of my 20 in 2020 habits and goals which I’ve posted on a wall to see daily. And, I plan on sharing my progress periodically on Instagram with the hashtag #20in2020
I’ll continue to use my Apple watch to monitor my steps, and to remind to me get up every 45 minutes to move and take a drink of water (see #20). And, I LOVE the Calm app to support my meditation practice.
I also plan on scheduling my workouts and hikes on my Google calendar, and use Mint to monitor my finances. Plus, I’m excited to try 30 Days of Yoga with Adriene to help get me started on my flexibility challenge.
If this sounds good to you, I’d LOVE to have you join me by following along on the Better app, Facebook, and Instagram. And, I’d love to know what your own goals and habits are for a healthy, happy new year.
P.S. If you follow me on Facebook, I’ll try and post some funny videos regularly so we can all have a good laugh 🙂
And, before you head off to celebrate, here are some of my favorite EASY dinner recipes to “make healthy easy” in the New Year. Happy 2020!
5 Quick & Easy Healthy Entrees to Make in the New Year
Let’s Chat! What are your health and happiness goals for 2020? What are your biggest successes from 2019? What are your biggest challenges? Do you plan on checking on the Better app???
Hi There! I’m EA, a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) in sunny San Diego. I create easy, DELICIOUS gluten free recipes & low FODMAP recipes for a wide variety of diets: anti-inflammatory, low carb, Mediterranean, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, & more. I offer nutrition coaching for wellness nutrition, digestive health (celiac disease, IBS, IBD, SIBO), autoimmune disease, & healthy aging. Learn more about my nutrition philosophy and my nutrition coaching services, sign up for my newsletter, or get in touch~I’d love to connect with you!